The account planner is expected to drive the development of creative strategy for campaigns, acting as the voice of the consumer and the market. We will want the account planner to become knowledgeable about the categories and the brands associated with their accounts, as well as the details and nuances of the various target segments within those accounts. The account planner will develop and write creative briefs, brief creative teams, and ensure the creative work fits the brand and the brand’s consumers and effectively highlights the brand’s core equities. We want and encourage the account planner to articulate winning strategies that drive results.
In today’s fluid world that is quickly blurring the lines between creative, media and content the account planner will play a pivotal role to bridge the various disciplines and inform not just the brand positioning and creative development but also help inform / guide channel planning and work collaboratively with comms. planners to arrive at effective channel solutions.
This position is client-facing and requires strong client presentation skills across a range of different types of client organizations, with a comfort level addressing clients at all levels of experience and sophistication.
This individual will lead and shepherd the strategic process from start to end on key brands and new business. They will be a conceptual thinker and yet also be able to dig into data to inform strategies.
Day-to-day responsibilities include leading, engaging and collaborating with various agency stakeholders on audience research and insight generation, leading the account planning function and spreading the discipline throughout the agency.
Provide thought leadership on new business
Actively lead new business efforts, formulating a compelling story and crafting view into the consumer journey. Work collaboratively with other members across creative, media, analytics, and also partner with outside creative agencies as needed, to ensure a cohesive strategy and collective alignment.
Develop deep insights into the consumer’s attitude, behavior, life challenges, emotional triggers and communication touchpoints, in short create detailed personas and ethnographies to bring the individual to life and inform the messaging, content and media.
Glean insights from first-party, secondary and syndicated research, to understand cultural, attitudinal, emotional and behavioral aspects of the consumers’ relationship with the brand, competitive offerings and the various channel touchpoints.
Write concise, coherent briefs to inform various agency/client teams. Ensure that the briefs are clear and help generate a singular organizing concept that is strategically rich, and that the activation idea and channels strategy align behind the concept.
Develop framework for both quantitative and qualitative research, to inform targeting, insight development, and channel strategies as needed. Oversee project from start to finish, including identifying the right research partners, and synthesize and distill results into smart, strategic recommendations.
Head up internal and client/inter-agency ideation sessions around brand strategy, brand positioning/brand truths, emerging trends, technologies, channel considerations etc. Ensure the ideas align with the overall brand positioning and strategy.
- Minimum 5 -7 years-experience as an account planner in an agency environment
- Strong quantitative/syndicated research expertise (e.g., Brand Awareness, Brand Sentiment, Brand Equity, Segmentation Studies, Simmons, MRI, Mendelsohn, Experian etc.)
- Proficient with qualitative research techniques (e.g., focus groups, ethnography) and experience moderating groups
- Intellectually curious and inquisitive
- Passion for understanding trends impacting society, culture and people and its implications for the brand
- Creatively-minded, able to think out-of-the-box
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong presentation skills and ability to lead new-business pitches
- Experience developing creative briefs and strategic frameworks for clients
- Research/analytics skill, both qualitative and quantitative
- Experience with competitive/marketplace auditing and trend analysis
- Exhibit the ability to seamlessly work across analytics, creative and media
- Big-picture thinking, plus relentless attention to detail
- Demonstrated success working in fast-paced, highly collaborative team environments
- Entrepreneurial spirit and instinct for creative problem solving
- BA in marketing, communications, or advertising is welcomed but not required
We look forward to hearing from you. If your skill set doesn’t match this opening, apply anyway. Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com