July 21, 2020 CONSUMER SENTIMENT ROUNDUP: COVID-19 AND TRAVEL
FINDINGS AS OF JULY 2020:
- Surveys show that excitement about traveling again has held steady over the last month, in spite of increased caseloads. And with 30* countries open to U.S. tourism, up from 25 in late June, people undeterred by the notion of flying have more choice. (*As of publication; this figure changes almost daily.)
- What kinds of trips are safer than others? Of those surveyed, road trips and outdoor activities top the list.
- Those who are planning to travel show a strong preference for beaches. Destinations drawing the least interest are theme and amusement parks, state and other regional parks, and deserts.
- Some are now making travel plans for late fall and early winter. This is due, in part, to the fact that 36 countries now have no travel restrictions in place—up from just 25 countries in late June.
- Consumers are less interested in receiving messages about travel. Right now, people are focused on everyday spending. It’s all about the essentials again. They are interested in messages and offers that help them get more out of this kind of spending.